I’ve said this before, but I love summer. One of the reasons I love summer is the countless opportunities you should have to take in a fabulous local music festival. I’ve also said this before: I LOVE the Iowa City Jazz Festival. There are so many reasons why:
- It’s FREE
- Iowa City is a fantastic town that can shatter any Iowa stereotype you care to muster
- It’s incredibly well-organized
- the jazz talent offered is diverse
- the food offered via the “Culinary Row” is a major part of it
- It’s always played out during the 4th of July holiday, complete with fireworks over the iconic University of Iowa Pentacrest and Old Capital building
- I can bring my camera
- and, did I mention, it’s FREE?
In all sincerity, I dare you to find me a better jazz festival, or festival of any kind for that matter.
Here are some shots I took of some of the acts I witnessed and some other sights you’d find if you ever wanted to attend.
JOE LOVANO’s Us 5
ANAT COHEN QUARTET
TOM HARRELL’S COLORS OF A DREAM